Skip to main content

Digging Your Rut and Crawling Out of It

I have been researching for the past 2 days on how to follow up my next post and make it as interesting as my last. This may not be as gut-wrenching and tear worthy as my first post, but I have found an interview with Psychiatrist, Dr. Robi Ludwig that I feel I can add some helpful coping commentary (I would say "mechanisms", but the Doc came up with the tools, I'm just adding my 2 cents and comedic relief.) to. I know I have used a few to help myself in the past.

Now, for some of you who have been or know someone who has suffered with depression, you will know that we have incredible "highs" where we feel untouchable. We can conquer the world with just a lift of our pinkie finger. Those phenomenal "highs" are followed by those melancholic "lows", where we are as moody as a teenaged girls sleepover and feel like we can accomplish nothing. Sometimes these "lows" can be avoided or staved off. I do not recommend opting out of professional help and going the homeopathic, self care way completely, but any little bit can help when it comes to coping with the business end of mental health.

Below are 10 ways I hope some of you will find useful with getting you out of your funk:

1. GET ENOUGH SLEEP.

Now sleep comes easier to some than most and sometimes those blissful 8 hours are a pipedream. Especially when there's a household to run, bills to pay, and children who seem to forget everything but your name. Try setting yourself on a sleep pattern that works best for you. Stick to it the best you can and see what a difference it can make.

2. PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR FEELINGS

One more time for the cheap seats in the back!  PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR FEELINGS!!
I cannot stress this enough. Sometimes we get so wrapped up with the stress of our lives that we don't stop and think and process the actual events themselves. Or maybe you're noticing that your mood swings fly a flag of so many different colors that it would give even the most flamboyant onlooker a run for their money. Document your feelings, keep a journal, notebook, grease board flow chart or whatever tickles your inner nerd. If you start to notice erratic behavior, if you start to have thoughts about hurting yourself or others, stop what you're doing at that very moment and make yourself an appointment with your family doctor or local mental health facility. I will say this, if you have thoughts of hurting yourself or someone else I suggest you get yourself to the nearest hospital right now!

I feel like this might be a good time to add a link to help those who may be unsure of whether or not they are suffering with depression:
http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/depression-symptoms-and-types
I'm not one of those crazy folks who Google every symptom of their headache just to hear that I have cancer and death is imminent, but in this case, it's good to know what to look out for.

3. SPEND TIME IN NATURE.

Now, I'm going to assume that Dr. Robi Ludwig must live somewhere where it isn't hotter than the 7th circle of hell right now, but here in good ol' North Cakalak, I start sweating like a whore in church when I even think about stepping outside. And I love the outdoors and all it's beauty, but a heat stroke is not on todays agenda. So please take precautions if you do want to play outside for long periods of time. Sun screen is a must, water, a towel to wipe the sweat from your brow, and a camera to capture your adventure. And for the love of everything Holy, wear deodorant.

4. SPEND LESS TIME IN FRONT OF ELECTRONICS.

Now this is something I can get on board with. Nothing can drive a wedge between people, couples, and family's faster than spending every minute together with your eyes locked to a screen. If venturing out the front door isn't what you are in to, than buy a board game, throw darts (not at each other), have an inside water gun fight, play charades, hell, play hot hands.

If you live alone, buy a cat and teach it tricks. Take a pottery class. Go scope out the cute hipster-nerds at the coffee shop. Stop being so sedentary!

Connect with another human being! It is essential for us to connect and personally interact with other people for the sake of our species to continue to inhabit this earth until a solar flare burns us like marshmallows on a campfire. Think of speaking to strangers as your way of giving back to the community.

My use of emphatic punctuation is alive and well.

5. SPEND SOMETIME ALONE.

Everyone, and I do mean everyone, needs this in their life. Some need more "me" time than others and that's okay. It gives our brain time to process the crap we face everyday, decompress, and move on to the next task or obstacle we may have to face.

Things I do in my "me" time-

  • Reading. I'm a bookworm to my core. No e-books for this girl. I need to feel the page beneath my fingers. I need the smell of the ink and the paper. It is an instant high. Plus, stepping into a different reality for a bit gives your brain a chance to work behind the scenes while you're concentrated on something else. And before you ask, "Are you sure we are talking about books?" The answer is, "Yes". You stick to your vices and I'll stick to mine, thank you very much.
  • A bubble bath. Ohhhhhhhh, yes. The heat. The bubbles. The music/Netflix on my laptop or the sweet ringing in my ears from hearing absolute silence until my 3 year old Tasmanian Toddler of Terror pops her head in my bathroom door and asks me if I'm pooping... Yep, I just went there.
  • An aimless drive. Now ever since I've had my license there's always been this one place that I go to to clear my head. It's right in front of an old gym that sits right on the water in the Historic District of Elizabeth City. I've never really told anyone about "my spot" until now, so feel special, but it's always been a place that I've connected with. If I ever need to just disappear for a bit, I go there stare at the beautiful Pasquotank River and it's like everything just works itself out mentally. For those of my locals reading this, if I see you there tomorrow morning, let's catch up and have a chat.
  • Writing. Other than my usual knack for short stories, poetry, and my new found love of blogging- I'm an avid list maker. When your cranium can get as scattered as mine, even with an eidetic memory, it's good to just sit down and prioritize somethings and set little goals for myself to achieve in the coming days.

6. JUST SAY NO.

This is something I struggle with daily. As a parent, as a friend, as a girlfriend, as a coworker, and as a functioning member of society. The struggle is real, my friend. I don't have space for that two-letter word in my vocabulary, but doormat does seem to fit ever so nicely, it's right next chump and softie. I digress.

Good luck to y'all.

This is where I poll the audience and use a life-line. Someone help me out here.

7. PRACTICE DEEP AND CALM BREATHING.

When I was first diagnosed with high-functioning anxiety, I was shown breathing tools to use when I felt overwhelmed to avoid a panic attack and to not become too reliant on a pill to ease off minor hiccups. The one I was showed that has helped me the most is inhaling for a count to 7, holding for a count of 4, and then exhaling for a count of 8, rinse and repeat until you feel yourself start to normalize again. This is going to sound a bit cliché, because everyone uses Pinterest for everything these days, but if you search "breathing techniques to help with anxiety" you will find a plethora of different methods, the goal is finding one that works best for you.

8. LIMIT ALCOHOL AND CAFFEINE INTAKE.

Oh here we go with this bovine fecal matter, but I guess I'll stop throwing my toddler sized tantrum and say this-
I am the kind of girl of who can drink a whole pot of dark roast, black and go directly to bed. Coffee is my life blood, but since my last episode, I have had maybe 2 cups of coffee and by cups this is what my coffee cup looks like :
This beautiful bad boy holds 32oz. of Godly nectar. I have sense learned that the amount of caffeine I was taking in was affecting how anxious I felt throughout the day. It was if the elephant in the room had no where else to sit, except upon my chest. This feeling lasted long after the caffeine wore off. So I have taken a bit of a sabbatical from coffee and opted for drinking water as soon as my feet hit the floor in the morning.

Alcohol is a whole different ball field. I was once able to drink even the swarthiest of sailors under the table. What did they expect? I am part Russian and part Viking. I can carry the weight of 1,000 men and their alcohol tolerance. These days a simple glass of wine or a beer is enough to satiate me, plus who has time for a hangover when you're 30?

If you're having trouble with putting the bottle down AA classes are always a great option and are free of charge.

9. PRACTICE FORGIVNG YOURSELF.

I still have a hard time forgiving myself for letting a total narcissistic d-bag get so close to me that I introduced him to my daughter and things ended less than favorably. I can only imagine how I will go about explaining my monumental mistake to her one day.

None of us are perfect. Holding yourself to a standard of perfection is unrealistic. Whether you mess up royally or something minor, self-love and forgiveness is a practice. If you are naturally critical of yourself, it might take a few rounds of messing up before you arrive at forgiving yourself without having to self-deprecate first.

10. LISTEN TO YOUR INSTINCTS.

It's crazy how much we already know, without knowing we know, you know? Your gut will tell you a lot before your mind figures something out. We are wired with a certain intuitiveness, so do yourself a favor and listen to it from time to time. It may just keep you out of some pretty hairy situations.


The best advice I could give you is to be your own advocate when it comes to your mental health. Only you truly know what is going on in your head. If you ever need someone just to vent to, there are people who actually get paid to sit on the other end of a phone or behind a legal pad and hear you gripe about your life. Trust me you wont regret it. Never be ashamed of it.


You are never alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self-Conclusion

So, I’ve been playing around with writing prompts trying break up this never ending bought with writers block. I got a few paragraphs in before the wind in my sails died. I like where my story is heading, just got to find a way to get there. Stay tuned for part 2. PROMPT : Write about a character who can’t laugh.                 She stands there, toes at the edge. Peering over the cliff. She ponders what the fall will feel like. “Will it make me feel weightless?” She smiles at the thought, for it seems like she has been carrying the weight of the world on her shoulders for far too long.                 Standing there, eyes closed, arms spread wide open, she begins to lean forward when she hears an unfamiliar voice. “Excuse me, Miss.” His voice was warm, rugged, and frantic.                 Again, he repeated himself a bit more emphatically, “Excuse me, Miss!”                 With her eyes still closed, she lowered her arms and turned to face the stranger. She ope

The House of Cards and It's Incomplete Deck

This year, for me, has been the toughest, longest drawn out chapter of my life. The trials I have faced and the hurdles that I have jumped I thought would break me. I wanted to lay down and let my house of cards fall. The big downfalls overshadowed my littlest of accomplishments. What I failed to realize was that stepping out on my own to make a life not only for myself, but for Amelia, wasn't the worst thing I ever did, but one of the best. Here we are, almost a year to the day, and I have accomplished so many things... I am writing again. It may not seem like much to onlookers, but my passion for the written word is my lifeblood. Ever since I could properly form a sentence, I knew that I would live and die by my pen.  I let motherhood, the daily struggle of keeping my head above water, and the monotony of everyday life overshadow my talents. I lost myself somewhere along the way and in a sense I lost my voice. Writing has always been an escape for me- a chance to rewrite things

Self-Conclusion : Theo + Avery (Part 2)

                 The chair creaks as the metal scrapes against the wooden floor as she takes her seat in the roadside diner. The air wreaks of coffee, blueberry pie, nicotine, and loneliness. The walls are filled with pictures of their life-long customers with celebrities who happened to cross paths with the diner on their way to bigger and better towns. For a moment, she daydreamed about how she may be destined for a more grandiose kind of life. She wondered if a different scenery would make her finally find what she’s been looking for- happiness.                   The waitress smiled, and her spearmint gum and cheap perfume permeated in her presence. She envied her for a fleeting moment. How she wished she could smile, even if it were fake.                 He ordered two coffees, a slice of the blueberry pie, and two forks. She pours the sugar into her coffee as if she were planning on making syrup. It makes him chuckle.                 “Theo,” he extends his hand for he