Skip to main content

Self-Conclusion : Theo + Avery (Part 2)


                 The chair creaks as the metal scrapes against the wooden floor as she takes her seat in the roadside diner. The air wreaks of coffee, blueberry pie, nicotine, and loneliness. The walls are filled with pictures of their life-long customers with celebrities who happened to cross paths with the diner on their way to bigger and better towns. For a moment, she daydreamed about how she may be destined for a more grandiose kind of life. She wondered if a different scenery would make her finally find what she’s been looking for- happiness.

                 The waitress smiled, and her spearmint gum and cheap perfume permeated in her presence. She envied her for a fleeting moment. How she wished she could smile, even if it were fake.

                He ordered two coffees, a slice of the blueberry pie, and two forks. She pours the sugar into her coffee as if she were planning on making syrup. It makes him chuckle.

                “Theo,” he extends his hand for her to shake, as if they were sitting down to a business meeting.

                “Avery,” she gracefully accepts his hand into hers and he holds it with the kind of warmth and kindness that makes her heart beat just a bit faster.

                He grabs a fork full of blueberry pie. He enjoys every bit of its bitter sweetness. 

                “So, tell me, what prompted your attempt at flight?” He says as he wipes his lips with a paper napkin.

                “You tell me your secret and I’ll tell you mine.”

                Before responding, he sees her slightly hunched shoulders as if she had been hauling sorrow around like a sack of potatoes. He notices her perfectly shaped collar bone and the frame of her face go in complete harmony with the rest of her consummately curved figure. “How can someone this beautiful, be so full of sadness that they would want to end their life?” He pondered. He wished he could see if her smile was as stunning as he imagined.

                “I realized today that I have stopped living. That I am literally trying to make it to the next day, just living in the thought of tomorrow. Then it hit me. I’m not living. I’m waiting. And the problem is that I don’t know what I’m waiting for. I’m kind of scared of what might be. The monotony of life has a way of blinding you to the outside world. You get tied up in work. You run out of stories to write. Words become tenuous and I feel as though I am at a standstill with my mind. The deadlines are inching ever so closer and I seem to be getting further and further away from the finish line. Like I’m living in reverse, when what I really want is to quit it all.” He sat there, pensive. His hands were clinched around his coffee mug, breathing a bit heavier now that he has told a complete stranger that he is basically a basket case, or more like a ticking time bomb waiting for the explosion.

                “There are these magical moments in life, you hold on to them. You make them memories. When you look back on life, it is supposed to be full of smiles so big that it makes your face hurt, laughs that come straight from the gut, but my memories are dark and desolate. Dank, dusty corners and raw unending loneliness,” she pauses to see the expression on his face. She can’t remember the last time someone listened to her with such intent. Like he was trying to peel her back like an onion and get to the root of her melancholia. They hold eye contact as she continues the expression of her sorrows, “I am unable to laugh or smile. I can’t even fake it. No matter how hard I try to push through it and just be content in my emptiness, I can’t imagine living out the rest of my days with the weight of sadness.”

                Theo sat there, silent, trying to find the words to fix her broken soul.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self-Conclusion

So, I’ve been playing around with writing prompts trying break up this never ending bought with writers block. I got a few paragraphs in before the wind in my sails died. I like where my story is heading, just got to find a way to get there. Stay tuned for part 2. PROMPT : Write about a character who can’t laugh.                 She stands there, toes at the edge. Peering over the cliff. She ponders what the fall will feel like. “Will it make me feel weightless?” She smiles at the thought, for it seems like she has been carrying the weight of the world on her shoulders for far too long.                 Standing there, eyes closed, arms spread wide open, she begins to lean forward when she hears an unfamiliar voice. “Excuse me, Miss.” His voice was warm, rugged, and frantic.                 Again, he repeated himself a bit more emphatically, “Excuse me, Miss!”                 With her eyes still closed, she lowered her arms and turned to face the stranger. She ope

The House of Cards and It's Incomplete Deck

This year, for me, has been the toughest, longest drawn out chapter of my life. The trials I have faced and the hurdles that I have jumped I thought would break me. I wanted to lay down and let my house of cards fall. The big downfalls overshadowed my littlest of accomplishments. What I failed to realize was that stepping out on my own to make a life not only for myself, but for Amelia, wasn't the worst thing I ever did, but one of the best. Here we are, almost a year to the day, and I have accomplished so many things... I am writing again. It may not seem like much to onlookers, but my passion for the written word is my lifeblood. Ever since I could properly form a sentence, I knew that I would live and die by my pen.  I let motherhood, the daily struggle of keeping my head above water, and the monotony of everyday life overshadow my talents. I lost myself somewhere along the way and in a sense I lost my voice. Writing has always been an escape for me- a chance to rewrite things