Skip to main content

The Petals and The Thorns

When I decided to start this blog, I wanted to help people by sharing my stories, my struggles, and to put an end to my writers block. I also wanted to share with you my triumphs. Not only so you can delight in them with me, but also to inspire you that no matter how rocky the road there is always a proverbial light at the end of the tunnel. Live, fight, survive, and thrive. That is my motto.

I have been in quarrel with myself for the past few days on if I should share the purpose of my sudden absence over the last two weeks. I want to hide it from the world, but I feel like I'm wearing a Scarlet Letter. Like a blemish that no amount of makeup can hide. I often feel ashamed of my mental illness, but I wasn't made to take things lying down. It's just not encoded in my DNA. So, why not use this as a platform for my soapbox? It is time to start a serious conversation on the taboo of mental illness. 2 out of 3 Americans struggle with it, that's a whopping statistic! It is a secret everybody keeps and no one talks about for fear of judgement, shaming, and rejection.

With that being said, my confession- I voluntarily committed myself to a behavioral health clinic (psych ward)  in Greenville, NC. What lead me to my decision, was the realization that I was no good to my daughter as a parent with the state of mind I was in. I hang the moon in her eyes, and she deserves nothing less.

I was in such a downward spiral that performing daily tasks were a struggle for me. I hid my head beneath the covers or behind a screen for weeks. My motivation level was at 0%. I started having flashbacks of not only my sexual assault, but every negative obstacle I have ever faced in my life. I was having nightmares of losing those closest to me. The stress headaches were debilitating. My mood swings were verbally combative (not towards my child). My life was just a series of breathing in between panic attacks. The medication (Atavan) I was on wasn't working the miracles I thought it would, but suffering from multiple chemical imbalances requires more than one medication. I started having pretty bleak thoughts. Suicidal ideations with a plan is what my hospital chart read. I spent 5 days in the hospital being monitored around the clock while they assigned and adjusted medications to suit my specific needs. I attended group-type therapy sessions, and every staff member of the facility is trained in some form of counseling, so if I needed one-on-one time with someone, it was available 24/7. The outline of my conversations were then documented and submitted to my team of doctors. The help I received there is paramount and I am forever grateful to the entire staff of the clinic.

Before the Judging Judy's start forming their opinions, I want everyone to know that, as cliché as this sounds, It's okay to not be okay. It is okay to see your weaknesses and find help in fixing them. What's not okay, is that there is no conversation happening to resolve the stigma one faces with such a diagnosis. There is a lot of uneducated misinformed theories flying around about depression and mental health as a whole, and it's high time someone steps up and advocates for those of us with no voice. So, here I am stepping up to bat...

I hate that mental disorders have become a competition. You can't discuss eating disorders without someone saying how they survived on their multi-vitamin and chewing gum for 8 weeks. You can't discuss depression without someone describing their life in all it's articulate dark details and how they tried to commit suicide 7 times by the time they were 9. You can't discuss self-harm, because you punch your leg until it's purple while someone else slices their arm to the bone. You can't discuss addiction, because someone else has been facing their crack addiction for decades. There is such a lack of empathy in the close community that it is astounding. What is the end game of competing in mental illness? Further secluding yourself from people who should be learning from one another not one-uping each other to see who is the least stable. It's insanity, pun intended.

Then there is the outside scrutiny that we face from those who choose not to understand why our brains can't just simply work like they're supposed to. And it's not just our brains, our entire anatomy isn't in sync. They choose not to educate themselves, because they think that it's all in our heads and we should just "push through it".

For those of you who are still reading and haven't stammered away from my spectacle, I have compiled a comprehensive list of things I think people on this side of the fence wish you could understand:

# 1 WE AREN'T LAZY

Sometimes the weight of anxiety is so severe that performing even the smallest of daily functions feels like too much.

#2 WE ARE NOT ALWAYS CONFIDENT

There is almost a constant paranoia. We fear that we are always being judged. Having a mental illness can make you feel like you have a mark and that can create a lot of self-doubt.

#3 SOMETIMES WE ARE MORE STABLE, BUT WE ARE NOT CURED

There are days of stability for all of us, but it doesn't mean we're all better. Mental illness is chronic, it's not the flu, it doesn't just go away.

#4 WE HAVE BAD DAYS, EVEN WITH MEDS

Medication doesn't make us impervious to life. If something bad happens, we react, sometimes more deeply than others, and if we are in a bad mood, we're still going to be in a bad mood.

#5 IT HURTS WHEN YOU'RE ASHAMED OF OUR DIAGNOSIS

There is nothing more upsetting then to think that the people you love might be embarrassed by something you can't control.

#6 STOP SAYING, "IT COULD BE WORSE."

Thank you, Captain Obvious! We are well aware that it could always be worse, and for most of us, we draw thanks from that. You are making us feel selfish for dealing with a chronic illness.

#7 I KNOW WHO MY SUPPORT TEAM IS AND I LOVE YOU.

You guys are the real MVPs. Thank you for being there. Thank you for standing up for me when I couldn't do it for myself. Thank you for having the strength and courage to hold me up  and being my shoulder to lean on. Thank you for lending an ear. Thank you for not sugar-coating the truth and giving me exactly what I needed to hear instead of what I wanted to hear. I don't know how I became blessed enough to have such a strong support team backing me, but I am forever in your debt. Thank you for being you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self-Conclusion

So, I’ve been playing around with writing prompts trying break up this never ending bought with writers block. I got a few paragraphs in before the wind in my sails died. I like where my story is heading, just got to find a way to get there. Stay tuned for part 2. PROMPT : Write about a character who can’t laugh.                 She stands there, toes at the edge. Peering over the cliff. She ponders what the fall will feel like. “Will it make me feel weightless?” She smiles at the thought, for it seems like she has been carrying the weight of the world on her shoulders for far too long.                 Standing there, eyes closed, arms spread wide open, she begins to lean forward when she hears an unfamiliar voice. “Excuse me, Miss.” His voice was warm, rugged, and frantic.                 Again, he repeated himself a bit more emphatically, “Excuse me, Miss!”                 With her eyes still closed, she lowered her arms and turned to face the stranger. She ope

The House of Cards and It's Incomplete Deck

This year, for me, has been the toughest, longest drawn out chapter of my life. The trials I have faced and the hurdles that I have jumped I thought would break me. I wanted to lay down and let my house of cards fall. The big downfalls overshadowed my littlest of accomplishments. What I failed to realize was that stepping out on my own to make a life not only for myself, but for Amelia, wasn't the worst thing I ever did, but one of the best. Here we are, almost a year to the day, and I have accomplished so many things... I am writing again. It may not seem like much to onlookers, but my passion for the written word is my lifeblood. Ever since I could properly form a sentence, I knew that I would live and die by my pen.  I let motherhood, the daily struggle of keeping my head above water, and the monotony of everyday life overshadow my talents. I lost myself somewhere along the way and in a sense I lost my voice. Writing has always been an escape for me- a chance to rewrite things

Self-Conclusion : Theo + Avery (Part 2)

                 The chair creaks as the metal scrapes against the wooden floor as she takes her seat in the roadside diner. The air wreaks of coffee, blueberry pie, nicotine, and loneliness. The walls are filled with pictures of their life-long customers with celebrities who happened to cross paths with the diner on their way to bigger and better towns. For a moment, she daydreamed about how she may be destined for a more grandiose kind of life. She wondered if a different scenery would make her finally find what she’s been looking for- happiness.                   The waitress smiled, and her spearmint gum and cheap perfume permeated in her presence. She envied her for a fleeting moment. How she wished she could smile, even if it were fake.                 He ordered two coffees, a slice of the blueberry pie, and two forks. She pours the sugar into her coffee as if she were planning on making syrup. It makes him chuckle.                 “Theo,” he extends his hand for he